femmedium

punk phd / feminism / motherhood

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Lars von Trier's Antichrist

I stumbled across this piece on The Guardian site earlier today whilst my year 8s were watching St.Trinians of all things and I was taking a breather. It concerns Lars von Trier's Antichrist which premiered at this year's Cannes and has generated quite some talk, particularly concerning the act of female genital mutilation involved in the film. Scroll down for a range of comments, including opinion from Julie Bindel. As woman who does not support genital mutilation in any form or context, and as an advocate for women's rights, I'm not sure how I feel about this film. My only feeling is that I could only truly pass judgement on it once I've watched it, but do I really want to watch it? We shall have to see.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Nigel Smites said...

I think it is a disgusting film. The problem is that if it gets panned too heavily it will get a cachet that it does not deserve. I am not a feminist, but I think there is too much in the world that is nihilistic. I think the worst of that film is that it pushes the view that humans will follow an unalterable fatalistic course in life.
I wish PVT, the director, would get deep organic treatment. Perhaps he could go to a Buddhist monastery for a year. I can offer that you are the gatekeeper of your own mind. I fear that bad movies are like heavy drugs. The more they are denigrated, the more popular they become with the fashionable types.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home