femmedium

punk phd / feminism / motherhood

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Radio 1's What The F: The Story Of Feminism And Pop

I was really intrigued when I found out that Radio 1 were going to be broadcasting a show about feminism and pop. I missed out live but caught up on it the next day (headphones whilst sat in a very warm, sunny yard in March nonetheless!) It was a bit of a disappointment. Whilst I think it's fantastic Radio 1 are giving airtime to discussing feminism and bringing it to mainstream radio, there were two problems for me. 1) It seemed to lack real substance and just felt like it was skimming the surface... 2) ...and maybe that was because of the focus being feminism and pop music, rather than feminism more broadly, but if that's the case then it was also limited in scope. For instance, there was discussion of some of the issues concerning women in pop music but I was also expecting more on feminism within pop e.g. the impact feminism has had on pop music itself But as I've said, I do appreciate that it provided an opportunity for feminism to get public attention through a mainstream radio station. And having musicians such as Professor Green being quoted saying he considers himself a feminist may do some good in opening up some of the audience's eyes to issues concerning gender inequality.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home