femmedium

punk phd / feminism / motherhood

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Dr Jessica Rongrose - Feminism in Schools

Girls should be taught feminism at school to stop them being disrespectful to each other, according to a leading academic.

I completely agree with this. We SHOULD be teaching feminism at school - not just to girls, but to boys and even to the teachers themselves. Feminism is relevant to everyone, no matter who they are, and we should stop seeing it as a 'bad word' which we can acknowledge, but which cannot actually promote. I would love to see this taken further in the future. I know how accessible teaching feminism is within my course (Sociology) but this subject is mainly taught at post-compulsory (i.e. sixth form and college level) and the subject itself is male-dominated (in terms of research, sociologists and so forth). But we could incorporate feminism into a wide variety of subjects, something which I am sure some teachers already do out of their commitment to the cause and not because of it being required.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, they already do teach girls feminism in schools (Or at least they do on the West Coast of America where I live). But it doesn't really do anything because they're also taught to be hypersexual whores from watching MTV, reading supermarket magazines, and AOL.

The last girl I was dating dumped me because I didn't "love her" (as she put it) in the first couple weeks.

Many girls now now consider being called a whore a compliment. It's disgusting.

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home