femmedium

punk phd / feminism / motherhood

Monday, August 25, 2008

Channel 4 Super Botox Me

Last night I watched Super Botox Me, a Channel 4 documentary-type on botox. It followed journalist Kate Spicer on a botox quest; asking questions regarding vanity and the increasing cosmetic world we live in. I found it really interesting and disturbing at the same time. By the end Spicer, who from the start seemed quite aligned to feminist ideology, decided she would carry on with botox in the future because of the way it had made her feel. Changing the way she looked, albeit it not drastically, had really impacted the way she felt about herself. Fair enough I think and yes, I agree that often how you look on the outside does impact your feelings on the inside. But what I disagree with is the fact we are made to feel just that. I think it's fucking hard being a woman in contemporary society (no surprise there) and even harder to be a feminist woman in contemporary society. I am told how I should look, how I should dress, what is acceptable, what is deemed beautiful, and I know I shouldn't listen to all that but it's hard. When you've had such ideals drilled into you during your childhood, during your teenage years and during your early adulthood, it is really bloody hard to tune it out; to say you're not going to buy into it. I do worry about how I look, I do care about what people might think, I do buy nice clothes to make me feel good and I don't see this as a major problem for now because I recognise why I feel I need to do these things. I realise the hold society has on women with regards to appearance. And so, for the time being, I'm kind of happy to do as I do but to know inside why I do what I do. And I don't know if I had a point here or whether this was just a flow of consciousness but yeah, there you go. Thoughts?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura-Anne said...

Hiya, I didn't see the programme super botox me however a friend of mine told me about it... I came across your blog when I was searching for people who's interests were 'riot grrl' and I was pretty astonished when your name came up because we have the same name laura-ann (though mine is with an E on the end!!) and we are both feminists from the uk! huzzah!
Anyway, I completely understand what you are saying about these impossible beauty ideals bestowed upon us. And the scary thing is I find that no one appears to even question it anymore because it has become the norm. Have you read the beauty myth by Naomi Wolfe?(I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you have!)it was written in the 80s but i think some of the points Wolf makes are more relevant today than ever what with surgery on the rise... Botox and surgery has become such a common occurence that resorting to cosmetic surgery people don't blink an eyelid and yet fundamentally what people are doing to themselves is totally shocking - altering their physical appearence by taking up these drastic measures, paying thousands of pounds being cut open by surgeons or getting needles filled with poison stuck in their faces in order to "correct their flaws" and transform into this idealistic image of the perfect woman- whatever that is meant to be!Like you say,its one thing to enjoy clothes,shopping,fashion etc. but another to strive to look like the airbrushed images we are bombarded with in the media every day,beauty is subjective yet there is this ideal people strive to live up to.
I've just turned 21 but I fear that when I reach 40 that this botox craze will become as common as dying your hair or wearing mascara. Anyway, I'm going to try and catch a repeat of that programme as it sounds rather good! And I'm going to read the rest of your blog as it sounds like just my cup of tea
laura
x

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Diana Lee and i would like to show you my personal experience with Botox.

I have suffered with migraines and neck pain for many years. Botox has given me my life back. I have arthritis in my neck and Botox is the ONLY thing that has given me relief.

Side Effects-
None…miracle drug

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Diana Lee

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to prevent future damage to your skin then avoid the Sun, or at least wear some form of sun protection.

I'm half Irish/half Scandinavian and spent 2 years working groundskeeping under the hot sun in America. I didn't wear any sunscreen. Big mistake.

In just that 2 years my skin has gotten really scaly I've gotten lots of wrinkles that I didn't have before.

So if your going work outdoors, be sure to wear some form of sun protection.

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home