femmedium

punk phd / feminism / motherhood

Monday, August 11, 2008

Belle De Jour

So recently I ended up reading Belle De Jour's The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl because a) I don't believe in commenting on a book/film/article until I've read/watched it and b) I had read all of the books I had with me and it was the lesser of many evils on my sister's/mum's bookshelves. Anyway, I can see what all the fuss was about when the TV adaptation came out. The book does completely glamourize prostitution. No acknowledgment of the dark side of the job is made or potential dangers (Belle De Jour is even happy to comment on how she never feels unsafe walking at night) - everything is fine, fine, fine.

Even more worrying is that there's apparently a second book been released now? I doubt that would fare any better.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home